Just checking in to remind everyone that I will be putting the community in full moderated mod starting on Sunday, September 27th.
What does that mean?
No More self-promotional posts (there WILL be a spot for it, I promise!)
No More individual introductions (again, there WILL be a DAILY spot for that!)
and what's the first rule of nanowrimo's community?
NO MORE TALKING ABOUT THE WEBSITE AND HAPPENINGS ON THERE!
#1 question asked every year - Why can't we talk about the website here? My answer? There's a whole website devoted to Nano that you can use, plus 4564387526894 other communities on LJ, IJ, GJ, and now Twitter and Facebook too! So in all honesty, I have no problems banning cross-posted dicsussions and discussions about discussions on this group.
- It takes away, on average 5-12 posts A DAY in the community.
- It makes the community flow better on your friendslists
- We're able to focus on what YOU need as a member, not what's happening over *there*
- Gives us an identity of our own, instead of "an extension" of the website
- Did I mention that it eliminates 5-12 posts A DAY to make your FL not get overtaken by discussions about discussions you might not really care about?
So what does this mean by "Not Posting about the Website"?
Here are a few examples:
- OMG THE WEBSITE IS DOWN!!! / THE WEBSITE IS BACK UP!!!
- We're talking about this in so-in-so board on the website...
- My handle is IMSOCOOL* (if this is yours, sorry...) and I want you to friend me!
- If you're into fantasy kink with handcuffs and unicorns, come see this discussion (bonus points to members who write that this year, fyi)
and basically any post where you have to reference back to the website. Smart thing - if you want to talk about a topic that's on the boards here, just don't mention the website to get help/advice. Then I'm none the wiser and you can get the help without getting attacked by the mod ninja squirrels.
And yes - folks - this does include using a post to get people talking, and then redirection to the boards. I DO READ EVERY POST EVEN IF I DON'T COMMENT!
I will also include a link to this posting in every website mentioned post from now until December 1st. If you're a member who enjoys helping mod without having the title, please use the cut-link to redirect people when reminding them of the rule.
NaNo Sprints are going to be sponsored this year! jynxgirl, my wonderful co-mod(ish?) pal, will be having her community, allyear_sprints running sprints. She will be posting the times daily during November. I will let her explain her rules and processes more in her own intro post.
age is working on finding a new type of writing exercise to run this year, and she will be letting us know soon what that is going to be.
The official rules for pre-November go up on September 27th. The daily posts will start then too. I have a few surprises up my sleeve as well. :)
Randomly - if you get a MOD POST from a journal likely_evil, that is my fandom journal and I just forgot to switch accounts. It'll happen rarely, but if it does, posts from that journal are to be treated just like posts from me.
And finally, deadline for the community banner design ends on September 27th at 9am CST. So far we have two entries here and here. Here are the specifics again:
I'd love to go for a paisley retro type feel this year, with of course a matching Mod icon. Oranges, greens, purples and browns. Making community icons as well...
Please keep them coming. :) And tag any icon posts with the tag 2009: graphics so everyone can find your banners, icons, and hand drawn "I LOVE MY MOD" crayon refrigerator sketches.
See you Sunday!!!